Sunday, April 2, 2017

By The Rivers Dark



By the rivers dark
I wandered on. 
I lived my life 
in Babylon.

And I did forget 
My holy song: 
And I had no strength 
In Babylon.

By the rivers dark 
Where I could not see 
Who was waiting there 
Who was hunting me.

And he cut my lip 
And he cut my heart. 
So I could not drink 
From the river dark.

And he covered me, 
And I saw within, 
My lawless heart 
And my wedding ring,

I did not know 
And I could not see 
Who was waiting there, 
Who was hunting me.

By the rivers dark 
I panicked on. 
I belonged at last 
to Babylon.

Then he struck my heart 
With a deadly force, 
And he said, ‘This heart: 
It is not yours.’

And he gave the wind 
My wedding ring; 
And he circled us 
With everything.

By the rivers dark, 
In a wounded dawn, 
I live my life 
In Babylon.

Though I take my song 
From a withered limb, 
Both song and tree, 
They sing for him.

Be the truth unsaid 
And the blessing gone, 
If I forget 
My Babylon.

I did not know 
And I could not see 
Who was waiting there, 
Who was hunting me.

By the rivers dark, 
Where it all goes on; 
By the rivers dark 
In Babylon.

by Leonard Cohen

1 comment:

  1. By the rivers of Babylon/Where he sat down/And there he went/When he remembered Zion.
    For the wicked carry us away/Captivity require from us a song.
    How can we sing King Alpha's song in a strange land?
    So let the words of our mouth/And the meditations of our hearts/Be acceptable in thy sight/Over I.

    Not sure if those rivers are dark, or if Suzanne will take you down there, though...

    ReplyDelete