Friday, February 26, 2016

Ramblin' On My Mind


Nobody is as sophisticated as they think they are. By extension, that means none of us are as smart as we think we are. In terms of power and those who seek it, we'd all do well to remember that absolute power corrupts absolutely because it's true, despite whether it's a big fish in a small pond or a committee in a commie commune. The thing is, most every fish thinks of itself as a big fish. The old numero uno. One for me and me for one. It may not be practical and it may not always be the case, but I have found it generally to be true: people are self-absorbed.

I once met a guy at a local watering hole who told me I had no idea what it felt like to be the smartest person in the room (but he did). I wanted to add, "...at any given moment," but the self-absorbed prig was on a roll and I enjoyed watching him let out more rope for himself. I mean, Texans are champion liars and I consider myself one of the best spontaneous liars in the history of North Texas liars, but I wouldn't compare myself to this guy. He assured me it was true, that he was an undiscovered genius. He proved it by providing examples of bar tricks for the price of drinks and quoting minutiae from history, philosophy, physics, and religion upon request. Bar patrons stopped watching the PBR finals and listened as he pontificated and blustered. From what I could judge, he was factually wrong on every opined topic but that's not so bad when your delivery is good and his delivery was excellent. By closing time he nearly had me believing in UFOs.

Anyway, ego drives the chariot and takes the fall when we get in trouble. We are self-centered agent provocateurs looking to gain advantage for ourselves, which would be great if we all had righteous cores, if we were all solid citizens, but the pity of it is, we're not. We try, but generally fall short. For the materialist, morality has become a relativistic shade of grey where the ends justify the means. These folks make great fighters because they are zealots, relentless, willing to do anything, stopping at nothing to win, in order to have their own way.

I consider the chances that Hillary Clinton will become the next president and that growing certainty tells me it is all as I have feared, that the corruption has become complete. The fix is in. Just like the last time. Welcome to the new boss. Same as the old boss. We are totally surrounded and the worms are moving in.

The other egomaniacs in the hunt are jockeying for position, lining themselves up for advancement, grooming their careers, making sure they will fit into an open space when a vacancy arises, or perhaps ensuring their lives will mean something. Like Hillary, or Donald, or Bernie, it's about personal power, actualized goals, commitment to ideology, and the will to win despite rules, fairness, logic, or even the best solution. Screw that. Let's just go out and win this thing because winning is good and power is everything.

Transformation You Can Believe In!

So, if any of this has you confused or frightened about the future, allow me to assure you, you're not the only one. I feel it too. In varying degrees, everybody I know feels the pressure that our government and our leaders and our media has put upon us during this long lead-up to the projected transformation/collapse of society. It's the not knowing that drives you crazy, eh? The thing is, our leaders don't really know either. They are privy to the prognostications of the most powerful computers in the world. Their eyes and ears stretch from the bottom of the oceans to above the atmosphere. They start and end wars. They control interest rates and the drug industry. They created Obamacare. And yet, they don't know what is going on either. They think they do just like sometimes you or I think we know what's going on (Hey, sometimes I'm even right!) but the truth is, they don't. You know why? Because culture and society and technology have all become runaway trains, evolving at a rate beyond control or prediction. Our leaders have convinced half of us they're right and the other half is afraid to make a dissenting sound out of fear for their lives.

On reflection, that last bit is not entirely true -- the paralysis of the conservative population is a result of years of the fragmenting effects of civil rights legislation and the fallout over polarization. Before civil rights, we were all simply free. Were we equal? No. Are we equal now? Not really. Unless you consider that cattle are all equal in the eyes of the rancher. Have we reached MLK's higher ground yet? Where do we rank in regard to the search for social justice where equality trumps logic? Have we defeated racism yet? Have we won the War on Poverty yet? As if such things can actually be done without either subjugating or murdering millions.Well, that sort of thinking does create whole new layers of bureaucracy and more societal control mechanisms and phony baloney government jobs and, well, you get the picture. The purpose of modern government? To perpetuate itself.

Before I totally ruin your mood, let me remind you there is good news. You can't be aware of everything all the time. Only God can do that. But you can keep your own thoughts directed towards higher ideals and whenever possible, do no harm! Before I turn into a saint right here before your very eyes, I'd like to leave you with one more thought to consider. I found the following in my internet travels and now have an idea for the cover of my biography.


There's got to be a picture of this floating around somewhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment